You’ve heard of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, now get ready to learn about the franchise’s predecessor: The Sisterhood of the Traveling Eye.
This dynamic trio is more commonly referred to as Graeae, translating from Greek into ‘old women’, ‘grey ones’ or ‘grey witches’, more commonly referred to as The Three Fates.
The product of fraternization between sea gods and gorgons, the three fates were named Pemphredo (alarm), Enyo (horror), and Deino (dread)…just some name suggestions for those who’ve stepped on The Pembroke Seal.
Like the girls in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, The Three Fates circulate an object of cosmic importance throughout their group of ‘gals’; however, instead of an innocuous pair of denim-leg-prisons (sweatpants ftw!), The Fates are the owners of an omnipotent eye that has the power to see all that has been and all that will be. Fierce! Looks like our gender has downgraded from an all-powerful cosmic sphere to a pair of skinny jeans as a symbol of the female bond…
These spooky sisters live by a series of rules that keep them from indulging in clichéd sisterhood:
- Do NOT drop the eye so that you can do the bend-and-snap in front of a demigod…they’re not worth the trouble.
- No using the eye to spy on ‘attractive’ mortals, you outrank them in cosmic status.
- Keep the eye away from mortals AT ALL COSTS (especially the men, they’ll try to get their hands on anything round)…
- When Hercules visits, we all get to share the eye evenly…there’s no room for hogs in this cave.
- You may either hold the eye in your hand or in your eye socket, but those are the ONLY two options. We’re talking to you, Enyo. We don’t want any repeats of last weekend.
- Whoever has had the eye for the shortest amount of time gets to cut Hercules’ life thread, once that stupidly immortal mortal kicks the bucket.
- You must never let a God touch the eye, especially if it’s Zeus. The big lightening freak thinks he owns this place.
- No crying for mortals while you have the eye, they’ll all be dead soon and you know that. We’re too powerful to worry about such small fries.
- The eye is a symbol of great power, so when you’re wearing it, you must dress for success! This means probably a pantsuit and combat boots.
- Remember, mortals are fickle beings and not to be trusted, even if they have those warm, dreamy-brown eyes…Your sisters are the only ones you can trust in the world of Gods and humans.
The fate of the universe hangs on your adherence to these rules, so don’t let your sisters down, and remember: The eye is not dishwasher safe.
So, who can say which holds more feminine power, a flimsy pair of denim pants surrounded by fashion dos and don’ts, or an all-seeing eye owned by those who see the universe in its entirety? It’s up to you to decide.